Congratulations, you have been selected to participate to the GCompris GSOC. Here are a few links to start your community bonding period and set up your environment.
Introduction to GCompris community
Send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to introduce yourself:
- Name, country, university... Whatever you want to share that can be useful.
- Describe what you plan to do in GCompris, which part of GCompris will you improve...
Setting your KDE account
If you don't have one, you need to create a KDE account (https://identity.kde.org/) and ask for a developer access (precise that you will do gsoc under GCompris). More information can be found at https://community.kde.org/Sysadmin/GitKdeOrgManual#How_to_get_read-write_developer_access
We also plan to use https://phabricator.kde.org/ to track our progress so you'll also need an account. It provides a lot of useful tools:
- https://phabricator.kde.org/paste/ to paste text (crash reports, code snippets...)
- https://phabricator.kde.org/differential/ for code review
- https://phabricator.kde.org/conpherence/ for having multiple people conversations
- https://phabricator.kde.org/maniphest/ to create tasks and follow their achievements
Using git on KDE
You can see the git at https://phabricator.kde.org/diffusion/GCOMPRIS/ (or http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=gcompris.git if you are not connected). As you will push work on it, you need to clone email@example.com:gcompris.git.
You can create a branch for your gsoc: git checkout -b mybranch and work on it. Don't forget to rebase on master from time to time. Once you think you finished your activity, you need to create a code review for mentors to comment the code.
Informing on your progress
In a work, the most important thing is communication. Without it, we can't know what the other people are doing, if they have issues... Do not hesitate to discuss as long as you have issues to be sure you've understood and fixed all of them.
Also, for Google purpose, you need to create a blog detailing what you have done. If you do not have one, you can create on using https://pages.github.com/. (or Wordpress?)
Moreover, using maniphest phabricator, you can describe precisely what you will do, state your task status and this will permit us and you to see where you are in your timeline (late or in advance).