An exercise for new contributors
In order to help you practice in the GCompris framework, I propose you to make this little exercise.
Mandatory: GCompris development is done on a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice.
- Install GNU/Linux on your computer if you don't already have it.
- Download and Install the latest stable version of QtCreator (version 5.5.0 recommended)
- Install CMake (version 3.5.1 recommended)
- Get the GCompris code from the Kde Git version control system (or see bellow the GitHub option).
- git clone https://github.com/gcompris/GCompris-qt
- cd GCompris-qt
- git submodule init && git submodule update (to retrieve box2d)
- Configure you Git username and email
- git config --global user.email "firstname.lastname@example.org"
- git config --global user.name "FirstName LastName"
- Create a branch for your development
- git checkout -b exercise
- Start QtCreator and open the project file CMakeLists.txt at the root of the source code
- Compile and run it.
- Create a new activity using the supplied createit.sh script. For example, use your nick name as the activity name.
- cd src/activities
- ./createit.sh 'my_new_activity'
- Update the copyrights of the different files with your name and email.
- Compile GCompris again in Qt Creator, check you new activity is present
- Modify the activity to display an image, a rectangle and a text.
- (Warning, if you add resources in you activity's resource directory you must run cmake again).
- You can search for code examples in other activities and check the Qml getting started.
- Add an event to a graphical object so that clicking on it does something visual.
- Use git add and git commit to commit your changes locally.
- git add 'my new activity'
- git commit -a